The school environment can be challenging for many students with an autism spectrum disorder. Students with ASD can present with difficulties in the classroom and playground. These complexities of these problems can leave teachers feeling frustrated, unprepared or unsure what to do to help the student. Children with autism can, however, overcome these issues with the proper support and training.
Autism Partnership has created a wealth of options for schools, so we can help train up teachers and offer a wide range of support for students that schools may not have the resources to provide. Our services to schools include:
- Workshops and training on a variety of topics relevant to educational settings
- Functional Behaviour Assessments, to assist educators to understand and change challenging behaviours
- Ongoing consultation - our staff have years of experience working within schools. We can provide short-term consultation or ongoing support to individual children, specific classrooms, or entire schools
- Social Skills groups
We emphasise practical, positive and proactive approaches that are evidence-based and have proven to be effective in advancing the educational progress of children with autism. We work with educators to provide consultation and training in the processes of behaviour management, curriculum development and the implementation of behavioural teaching strategies.
Our main goal when working in schools is to build the capacity of local school staff, thereby enabling the school staff to take on the expertise over time. Consultation could include input in the following areas:
- Whole school approach to understanding and assisting students with an ASD
- Working with individual teachers to solve problems for specific students
- Curriculum Development
- Comprehensive Behaviour Intervention Plans (BIP)
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Positive Behavioural Support
- Classroom organisation
- Data Collection
- Program Evaluation
If you have a student with autism you feel would benefit from a systematic behavioural approach, please CONTACT US for further information.